Biotène products are specifically designed for people with a dry mouth and contain moisturising ingredients to help relieve a dry mouth. Biotène offers a comprehensive range of products such as toothpaste, mouthwash, mouth spray and gel, which are all easy to use.
Preventing Bad Breath
Dry mouth is a major factor when it comes to bad breath. If you produce less saliva, you have less oxygen in your mouth, which is a perfect environment for bacteria to grow and produce sulphur which causes bad breath. Biotène products contain moisturising ingredients to help maintain healthy teeth and gums and help to prevent bad breath.
Tips to prevent symptoms of a dry mouth
There are simple measures you can take to alleviate the symptoms of a dry mouth:
Keep your mouth moist
- Drink cold, unsweetened drinks. Try to drink, taking regular small sips, at least 1.5 litres of fluid per day, such as water and sugar-free soft drinks.
- Take frequent sips or sprays of cold water, ice cubes or sugar free ice lollies.
- Use a humidifier at night to keep the air full of moisture.
- Brush and floss your teeth at least twice daily.
- Suck sugar-free boiled sweets, pastilles or mints and chew sugar-free gum.
Avoid things that can dry the mouth
- Avoid caffeine (e.g. coffee/tea, caffeinated soft drinks), alcohol, tobacco, smoking.
- Avoid hot, dry environments.
- Avoid acidic drinks, such as orange and grapefruit juice.
Make foods easier to eat
- Moisten foods with gravies, sauces, extra oil, mayonnaise and yoghurt to make them easier to swallow.
- Eat foods that contain a lot of fluid, such as fruits (fresh or tinned oranges, grapes, peaches), jelly, puréed fruits and soft puddings.
- Avoid foods that can dry the mouth, such as crackers.
- Avoid dry or hard, crunchy foods that could cut or graze/scrape your mouth.
- Avoid salty and spicy foods as these can irritate your sensitive mouth.
- Steam vegetables until they are soft.
You should also speak to your doctor, dentist or pharmacist if you are concerned about your dry mouth.